Sunday, October 12, 2008

A day in the life of a school girl

A number of you have been wondering how I've settled into my new life as a student, so I thought I'd post a blog about the new changes...

So far, everything is going well! I'm surprised by how easily I've slipped back into the academic lifestyle. My classes (one on Chaucer's Troilus & Criseyde and one on Intro to Critical Studies) are interesting and challenging, and the Chaucer class I'm holding discussion classes on is fun and exciting. I was intimidated with teaching Chaucerian language at first, but I have such a great support system at Davis that it hasn't been bad at all. I just pretend that I'm a Chaucer expert and the students think I know what I'm talking about :).

I have nothing but wonderful things to say about Davis. The people there are very helpful, and the vibe is easy-going and friendly. All the people in my class are smart & sassy, and the faculty are kind and full of advice. The campus is lovely, and I'm particularly fond of the gym & pool that is open to all the students for free!

Apart from commuting on the BART/Amtrak from San Francisco to Davis, that is...it seems to take about 2.5 hours one way with all the wait time and delays. But luckily, there's a woman in my program who lives 2 blocks away from me that has graciously offered to let me ride with her 2 days of the week. So I only have to take the public transport commute up and down once a week, which isn't so bad.

All in all, I'm really happy to be at Davis, and I'm super excited to be back at school. It's where I belong :).

3 comments:

Chayce and Kyler said...

so happy for you. glad things are going well and good luck with everything

Red, white, et bleu said...

Me too, me too. That's a hell of a long commute! One day is a lot better than three. I am a font of original, insightful commentary.

Does looking forward to seeing Pia in three weeks mean that she is returning to SF, or are you coming to New York? Sorry I missed you guys last time--your arrival coincided with a once-in-a-lifetime visit to Chattanooga, TN. Hot damn.

Thinking of you guys and smiling.

Unknown said...

Hi There,

Not sure if you'll remember me or not but last year in Feb '07 we had met at Alive Cafe. I was with a chef friend of mine named Marta from the Living Light culinary arts institute. Just happened to find your blog and recalled that we had shared a raw dessert there together while I was in town.
funny how I found this link--
click here for a blog post you wrote about it
I think at that time I had lost around 60lbs and now I'm down over 100lbs :)

Anyway I just wanted to let you know that I'll be back in the bay area next weekend teaching a class in Alameda CA called "Green Up Your Diet" it's all about how to get more greens and living foods into your diet and how our diet impacts the environment.

I just thought it was cool to find your blog, amazing how you can stay connected via the internet, please drop me a line to say hello if you'd like. My websites are Greenivore.net or eLivingHealth.com

Click the link below for more info about next weekend's class in case you're in town or you know anyone who would like to attend! If you want to bring some friends with you I'll give you "student" discount on it if you'd like to come :)just let me know Green Up Your Diet Class

I'm so glad that things are going so well for you! Also great to see you experimenting with recipes. :)


Take Care,
Chef Dina Knight
www.greenivore.net